Monday, August 1, 2011

Heirloom Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Pizza

Hubby and I were shopping at Lunardi's and saw they had heirloom tomatoes so we bought some.  We have been wanting to try them.  I didn't know what I was going to do with them.  I was watching TV and a commercial game on for Round Tables heirloom tomato flat bread that looked really good.  I decided to make heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella and basil pizza for dinner tonight.  I made the pizza dough in the bread machine.  I cut up tomatoes, basil and mozzarella.  I also cut up some shallots and caramelized them.  After the pizza dough was done, I divided the dough into two. I stretched the dough out then I brushed it with olive oil, then layered with mozzarella, tomatoes, added salt and pepper, basil, caramelized onions and some more mozzarella on top.  The second one I added pepperoni because hubby wanted pepperoni on one.  I baked the pizzas for 20 minutes.  They were so good.  The tomatoes were sweet, the basil and mozzarella complimented each other and the caramelized onions just topped it off.  I will definitely make this pizza again when the heirloom tomatoes are in season.

1 comment:

  1. oh my, this looks soo yummy! Stopping by from the SITS Spring Fling!!

    ReplyDelete